Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Warm wishes go out to everyone for a happy and hearty Thanksgiving holiday. We started our turkey day with a brisk run in Schenectady's Cardiac Classic 5k.

For years, I've done a good run on Thanksgiving morning, be it a bona fide race or just a nice training run, just so that I could indulge guilt-free in an obscenely large piece of pumpkin pie with an equally obscene amount of whipped cream. I love all the tastes of this holiday meal, but the pumpkin pie with all it's warm and earthly spices is the best.

Joe went out for his pre-race trail run, nice and early. Way too early for me, thank you. He returned at 8:30 to round us up: me in my running tights, which I haven't worn since the early months of 2007 when I was training for the half marathon, and Jonas bundled up like an eskimo and "stuffed" into the baby jogger. Jonas was about to "run" in his first race.

My goal was to get through the whole 3.1 miles without walking. I've been running off and on, and for up to 30 minutes, but it hasn't been a continuous 30 minutes with an additional 15 minute warm-up. Seems so funny to think that getting through 3 miles with no breaks was my goal, when just over two years ago I was aiming toward pushing up my mileage from 6 miles to an unfathomable 13. Well anyway, all of that was B.C. (before child). I was just so thrilled to be out there doing my first race since having Jonas. Joe ran with me while pushing Jonas. Our moms cheered us on from our street corner and near the finish.

I'm happy to report that I did finish the race with no stops and in 35 minutes and some change. I also enjoyed every bite of two slices of pie! Hey, I deserved it.
The problem is that now that the holiday season is here, I'm going to have to up my mileage, so that I can enjoy more than just a slice pie. That's ok, too, though. I've been itching to get back into the habit of running. Who knows, I may even have a special announcement about that after the holidays, but I'm going to keep you in suspense on that one for a bit.

No comments: