Sunday, November 11, 2007

Too much fun comes with a price


So, as you may have read last week, we spent a wonderful few days in the Big Apple, saving the city's gastronomic delights and exploring a variety of neighborhoods. Oh, and there's the one little detail that I mention: we walked 8 miles on Friday and a couple more on Saturday.

Net result: intense aches and pains for the next three days!

Stupid, stupid, stupid. What was I thinking?? Guess I kind of underestimated the effects of relaxin (not to be confused with relaxin').

I woke up Sunday morning with extensive lower back pain and relentless aching in my hips. I have never experienced anything quite like this, despite some pretty difficult runs on gnarly trails and loooonnngg road runs last spring. This felt like it was at the bone/ligament level, not deep muscle tissue pain. I thought my lower abdominal muscles and those in the hip flexor region were literally going to snap, like over stretched rubber bands. Did all that walking cause the baby to put on a few more pounds in just a day?

By Thursday I was finally able to walk again normally. I went for my weekly Thursday walk with my friend Marlena and felt great afterward. Just like the 'old days'.

Note to self: don't ever, EVER, do that again!

No comments: