Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Land of Milk and Honey

Ever so happy, Joe was eager to capture my delight when we finally landed at the 34th and Broadway GAP store after having gone on a wild goose chase to find a GAP with a maternity section. In the desert of maternity clothes options that exist in upstate New York, I was desperate to investigate all the possibilities in the city. They HAD to be plentiful. It’s New York, after all!

We naively assumed that the store we visited on the lower East side would have one. Doesn’t every store have a maternity section? The clerk told us the next closest one was on 23rd and 8th. Onward…

I charged through the door of this second store, anxious to get to the land of milk and honey, only to learn that the clerk at the previous store was misinformed. “Arghhhh!!” roared the pregnancy hormones. “This is ridiculous, Joe! How could she not know?!” I screamed at my poor husband. “She works for the Gap!!!” A new clerk--hopefully one that knew something about her company’s stores--assured us in her chipper tone that “the one on 34th definitely has a maternity section.” Hopes dashed, head lowered, I shuffled back out onto the street. Joe--what a trooper--encouraged us to try one last time. So I trudged my way up another 11 blocks. I have to admit, as annoyed as I was at the situation, the time went fast because we were having such a good time.

We got to the third Gap of the day, and pay dirt! We found this sign at the entrance. It was the most pleasant shopping experience I’ve had in five months. Racks and racks of tops and bottoms with generously cut stomachs. I had landed in heaven.

No comments: