Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Feeling much better - 1 yr. later

Wow! Today is a much better day than one year ago today. I've been active all day, ticking off the items on my to-do list.

This time last year, I was in a very different place. I'd just come home from the hospital after my hernia surgery and I was not in a happy place. Well, I was happy that the hole in my abdomen had been closed up, but not happy with the pain, pinching and pulling that came with every movement, even minor ones.

Three and a half months after Jonas was born, everything seemed to be on track. I was getting more sleep. I had more energy. The baby weight was coming off. Then, something started changing. I developed in my abdomen, which had swelled to the size it had been in the weeks right after delivery. I had developed a hernia with some strangulated tissue. So, I had to have everything pushed back into its rightful place and a "patch" put in. What can you do? It could have been worse. It can always be worse.

Here I am shortly after we returned home. The Percocet was working so I actually look more "friendly" that I was a few hours earlier. Still, NOT a pretty picture, is it.





My friends and colleagues at work sent me this beautiful flower arrangement to lift my spirits. Such nice people.

My mom and mother-in-law both came to lend a hand for weeks!








A year later and you'd hardly know. There's no swelling. I feel great. On occasion when I twist in my the right way, I feel a pinch, but it's no big deal.

There is one tell tale sign. It's a small-ish horizontal scar underneath my navel, which Joe finds very amusing. He's always trying to convince me to have two eyes tattooed above my navel, so that I have a "face" on my stomach. It would look like two eyes, a nose (belly button) and a mouth (the horizontal line). Once, I let him draw it. He didn't stop laughing for hours. It's not really anything you'd want to see a picture of. So, I'll just let you use your imagination.

No comments: