Thursday, April 30, 2009

Have you seen a baby around here?

Joe told me this hilarious story today about his after-work adventure with Jonas. Be forewarned, if you don't have a good sense of humor, it's probably best to just stick with my cutesy Jonas photo updates.

I will concede that on the humor spectrum Joe and I both tend to fall on the "warped end", as opposed to the "wholesome end". I think that's how we found each other and ultimately married. Thank God we did find each other. Otherwise, we'd be misfits wandering about with no one to appreciate our jokes that range from the off-color and truly bizarre to the crass and misanthropic. Some might call it pathetic. We call it true love.

Anyway, I digress...

After picking up Jonas from "school", Joe and Jonas went out to do a few errands--grocery, Target and EMS. They went into EMS, picked up a few things for this weekend's race and approached the check-out counter. The young female cashier begins to ring up the Clif Bars and gel packs and looks up at Joe, who's standing there with Jonas in his arms. Her face lights up. She cracks a coquettish smile and says in a perky voice, "Awwww! How CUTE!!!! Is that your baby??"

Joe, the master of dead pan, says, "Ahhh, no, actually. I just found him in the changing room."

Silence. Her smile disappeared.

"Has anyone come around looking for a baby?"

"Um, no..."

Awkward pause.

"Just kidding," Joe chuckles, thinking he's a real comedian. Another awkward pause. Her face turned red, and she kind of forced a half-smile.

As Joe turned around to leave, he swore that he heard the faintest muttering of a few choice words.

"It was so weird, Liz," he said. "I don't know. She just didn't seem to think it was funny."
Personally, I loved it. I couldn't stop laughing, as I imagined this scene that I've seen countless times before: young girl hitting on my husband who's holding our son, while I am right there! I mean, the nerve, right?! Well, every now and then karma has a way of coming around and give us a little swift kick in the ass, when we get out of line. Gotcha!




No comments: