Saturday, January 5, 2008

Welcome to Baby V's Room

All done! Well almost...

We still need to put up border on two walls. We held off on those two walls specifically because we are having the windows replaced at the end of the month. Aside from that, most things are in place now which is a huge relief and we're really pleased with how well the room has come together.


Here's a close up of the wall paper border. We wanted to get something that was appropriate not only for a baby, but also for a young child, as we have no plans on re-doing the room in a year or two. And, if we ever had another child, we wanted the room's decor to be suitable for a boy or a girl.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the camera doesn't quite capture the wall color. It's a creamy color on top and a milky cappuccino on the bottom.

Once we put up the wall paper border, my mom and I went out on a shopping trip to pick up a few things that we needed to organize the room. We don't have a dresser for the baby, partly by design. I decided to go with this cubicle apparatus thinking that we could use it as the child gets older to store toys and other goodies. We'll see how it works. Who knows, maybe we'll end up having to get a dresser. But in the meantime this will do.

The high chair next to the case has been in my family for generations. My great grand-father used it. We have photos of my sister and me sitting in it, too, as toddlers. I have fond memories of that chair.


The crib and the changing table also have sentimental value. They were my brother's. I remember when my dad and step-mom brought them home. My dad couldn't stop talking about how expensive baby furniture was. Now, I understand! I have lots of wonderful memories of Andy as a baby, and this crib.

I was 15 when Andy was born. Now he's a freshman in college and is going to be an uncle.

The last thing that remains to be done is to finish off this bed. The baby's room has this odd little nook that is spacious enough to accomodate a dresser, and not much more, or so I thought. When I measured the bed, I found that it would fit perfectly into this little space. We're going to use it as a day bed, where we can read or play. I suspect it may also come in handy on those nights when the baby is up every half hour.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gliders, and pictures, and cubbies-OH MY! The room looks absolutely great. The fact that you have some meaningful heirloom furniture too makes the room special. Baby will learn that as time goes on.

You guys take care. Thinking of you three. Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz and Joe: You both did a great job in the babies room. It looks beautiful. Can't wait to see it in person!! Love to all of you Mom V.

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz and Joe!

I think of you often, and even remember to check your blog from time to time. I love reading about your discoveries, adventures, and special moments. Thank you so much for sharing them - it is such a wonderful time in your lives. I wish you all the joy in the world.

~ Kathleen